But there are a few movies that are equal to if not better than their source material. My list:
- The African Queen - novel by E. M. Forster, movie directed by John Huston and starring, of course, Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn.
- Speaking of Bogart, there's Casablanca - has anybody ever actually read the play, Everybody Comes to Rick's?
- The Third Man - Graham Greene wrote the novella at the same time he wrote the screenplay, but just keep watching the movie, okay?
- Lonesome Dove - I infinitely prefer the miniseries, with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones, to the book. But, to tell you a deep dark secret, I think a lot of Larry McMurtry's books make better movies than the books themselves. Including The Last Picture Show.
- In an opinion that could get me banned from Australia, I think the miniseries Cloudstreet is better than the book.
- Picnic at Hanging Rock. Trust me.
- Miss Marple, as played by Joan Hickson, in Nemesis is fantastic, and the script as a whole is as close to a perfect transmutation from the page as I've ever seen.
- Any movie version of Ivanhoe.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey - pretty good sci-fi novel, iconic movie.
So, what are some of your choices?
BTW: I would have done more of these, but my husband had a medical emergency and I've spent the last 3 days at the hospital with him. He's back home now, for good hopefully, so… sort of back to normal.