“Drain the swamps” is the rallying cry of misguided developers. Wetlands are Nature’s kidneys, filtering polluted water before it enters ever-depleting aquifers, shrinking underground rivers supplying the state’s water.
“Chop down the forests” isn’t heard quite as often these days, but I encountered a guy who still believes trees cause pollution and environmentalism is a dastardly plot. He forgets William F Buckley Jr mentioned conservation and conservatism share the same root words and meanings.
Imagine my pleasant shock when I began seeing posters and postcards from some Orange County government subversives with tips to save the environment. Bless their hearts. Here is an example:
Orange County Public Service Announcement Nº 4
- It should pay homage to its inspiration.
- Orange County’s orange inexplicably went missing above, but we can fix that.
- It should respect the work the county put into theirs. After all, they should know what a PSA looks like.
- Therefore it should look attractive.
- Maybe it should be informative. Or not. But yes, let’s.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.Too subtle, huh? Maybe if I copyrighted it…
Give a man a puffer fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
So after much head scratching, I came up with the following.
SleuthSayers Public Service Announcement Nº 1
What do you think? Have we succeeded in alerting the public? If not, it’s the fault of, uh, Orange County, yeah, that’s it.