By Fran Rizer
O. Henry was one of my favorite writers when I was a child. I loved the surprise endings in each of his tales. Almost everyone is familiar with some of his short stories, especially "Gift of the Magi" and "Ransom of Red Chief." My favorite was "Mammon and the Archer."
Periodically, I survey my universe and eradicate the negatives, which has frequently led to breakups with gentlemen friends. This tends to correspond with "cleaning out my library" which results in my giving away books which I later wish I'd kept. Inevitably, I've changed my mind and wanted those stories back, (though not the gentlemen friends), so I've bought numerous copies of the Complete Works of O. Henry through the years. I enjoy his work now as much as I ever did.
|William Sydney Porter|
aka O. Henry
aka Olivier Henry
William Sydney Porter was born in Asheville, North Carolina, but began receiving recognition for his writing under the pseudonym Olivier Henry while living in Texas, where he was convicted of embezzlement and spent time in prison. Upon his release, he moved to New York City and began writing under the pen name O. Henry
Since his death at age forty-seven, O. Henry has had several supporters offer evidence that he was innocent of the embezzlement. There is an O. Henry Museum in his honor in Texas.
Regardless of his youthful guilt or innocence, O. Henry remains one of my favorite writers and an inspiration for the unexpected ending. Needless to say, he immediately came to mind when I discovered PARAPROSDOKIANS.
|Sir Winston Churchill|
1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on my list.
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
5. War does not determine who is right--only who is left.
6. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.
7. I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
8. I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
9. I didn't say it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.
|"I'm sexy and I know it!"|
11. A clear conscience is a sign of a fuzzy memory.
12. You don't need a parachute to skydive; you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
13. I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
15. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
16. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
17. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
18. I am neither for nor against apathy.
19. Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
20. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.
How about you? Do you have a favorite of the twenty PARAPROSDOKIANS above or perhaps one not listed? Better yet, make one up and share it!
Until we meet again. . . take care of YOU!