by Robert Lopresti
This is a little game we played twice back at the old shop. (Here and here)
Each pair of actors below played the same character, one well-known in mystery fiction. No character is repeated from earlier quizzes. The questions get harder as you go down the page. Oh, I admit there is a ringer: one actor only played the character in a failed pilot for a series, but that one is too good to resist.
Answers are at the bottom. Don't cheat. Have fun!
1. Morgan Freeman and Tyler Perry.
2. Raymond Burr and Monte Markham
3.William Shatner and Timothy Hutton
4.Peter Lawford and Jim Hutton
5.Alec Guinness and Barnard Hughes
6. Shaun Evans and John Thaw
7. Charlotte Rampling and Rachel McAdams
8.Richard Harris and Michael Gambon. (No, the answer is not Dumbledore.)
9. Carla Gugino and Jennifer Lopez
10. Ben Kingsley and John Hurt
1. James Patterson's Alex Cross. Morgan Freeman in Kiss The Girls and Along The Spider. Tyler Perry in Alex Cross.
2. Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason. Raymond Burr in Perry Mason. Monte Markham in The New Perry Mason.
3. Rex Stout's Archie Goodwin. WIlliam Shatner in the failed pilot for TV series Nero Wolfe. Timothy Hutton in A Nero Wolfe Mystery.
4. Ellery Queen's Ellery Queen. Peter Lawford in Don't Look Behind You. Jim Hutton in Ellery Queen.
5. G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown. Alec Guinness in The Detective. Barnard Hughes in Sanctuary of Fear.
6. Colin Deavor's Endeavor Morse. Shaun Evans in Endeavor. John Thaw in Morse.
7. Arthur Conan Doyle's Irene Adler. Charlotte Rampling in Sherlock Holmes in New York. Rachel McAdams in Sherlock Holmes.
8.Georges Simenon's Jules Maigret. Richard Harris in Maigret (1988). Michael Gambon. in Maigret.(1992)
9. Elmore Leonard's Karen Sisco. Carla Gugino in Karen Sisco. Jennifer Lopez in Out Of Sight.
10. Fyodor Dostoevsky's Porfiry Petrovitch. Ben Kingsley in Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. John Hurt in Crime and Punishment.